There are many benefits to buying contact lenses online. However, since lenses are worn to improve your eyesight and it is important for you to protect your eyes from any damage. You must always ensure that your prescription is up to date and you have got your eyes checked by a qualified eye doctor.
You must also find out from your doctor whether it is safe for you to order lenses online and whether he has any recommendations. When taking information from online sellers ask for: the brand name, lens nomenclature, and the power. They must give you details such as sphere, cylinder, axis, diameter, base curve, and peripheral curve. There are today over 36 million Americans wearing contact lenses and the estimated sale of contact lenses is well over USD 1 billion dollars a year. And, a substantial amount of the sales is generated by the internet.
1. Online sites offer a consumer greater selection as well as lower prices. Often the savings can be as much as 70%.
2. By choosing to buy contact lenses online you have the right to choose. Instead of just buying what is stocked by a shop close to where you live you can explore different sites that offer contact lenses from major manufacturer’s online and compare not just prices but things like durability, lens care, and safety measures. Sites like shopping.com and froogle.com among other shopping sites will permit you to check prices as well as types.
3. Online sites do not just sell contact lenses. They take eye care a step further and host a number of articles on the different kinds of lenses, lens care, the eye and problems, what solutions exist for any vision related problems and FAQS.
4. Many manufacturers are also selling contact lenses at the company website. So, if you have already used a certain make of lenses and are comfortable with them then all you have to do is, order replacements. Many company sites also offer cleaning solutions at competitive rates.
5. Most online sellers of contact lenses have experts who will answer your every question and guide you through you choices of lenses. The sites explain details like which lenses are suitable for sports, when contact lenses are not recommended for use, and how you must choose a contact lens.
6. Many online sellers waive shipping costs if your order exceeds say USD50. So, apart from making a great saving on the cost of the lens you get the advantage of the lenses arriving at your doorstep for no extra charge.
As a discerning consumer try and buy from a reputed store. Always check out whether there are any complaints against the online store with the better business bureau or in forums or blogs. Find out whether the address, and toll free number given at the website actually works. Most trustworthy websites have a clear customer policy in place.
Since you will be paying online you must ensure that the website’s payment gateway is secure. Check and see whether the site has the Verisign SSL seal. And, never buy a lens because its cheap, x, y, or z recommended it, or because the website has posted a huge advertisement for it. Only buy an established and reputed brand. Follow your eye doctor’s recommendation.
A reputed site selling contact lenses will make the effort of checking your prescription with your own doctor. However, you must also check that the lenses that arrive are the ones you need.